The contents of NaNoWriMo Joe have been merged with the Average Joe American home page at www.AverageJoeAmerican.US. This page will no longer be updated. Update your bookmarks and feed subscriptions today.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

My NaNoWriMo '08 Method -- and More

This year, for my NaNoWriMo effort, I'm considering taking a slightly different approach. Rather than sitting down and trying to complete a 50,000 work novel from beginning to end, I'm considering writing just one scene at a time.

I am now working on notes for several scenes in the story. My thinking is that by focusing on each scene as an individual story I might be able to crack through the possibility of writer's block. I can then later (possibly after November) lace the scenes together with additional narrative, hopefully resulting in a plot that tells the whole story.

Also, I'll be doing something special each week, beginning next week, for NaNoWriMo with The Joe Show. I'm going to create each week a podcast of independent music that I believe will help me (and possibly others) to tune out background noise and focus more intently on the story I am writing. Each episode will be approximately an hour long, with no talk between a brief introduction and closing.

No comments: